Monday, March 4, 2013

Slow cooked Arabic Lamb

Slow cooked Arabic Lamb

serves 6

Living in the Middle East, I have access to a great variety of different spices. Since living here I have become confident in using and experimenting with them. Most of the spices used in Middle Eastern and Indian cookery can be found in your local supermarket or in your own pantry. This is my version of Arabic lamb that is slow cooked and the meat can be shredded with a fork. I served this with my pomegranate couscous salad.

Ingredients

2kg boned leg lamb
1 tbs coriander seeds
1 teas cummin seeds
1/2 teas black mustard seeds
3 cardamon pods seeds removed
1 teas ground tumeric powder
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teas chilli flakes
1/4 teas ground cloves
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 teas salt
1/2 teas black pepper
juice 1/2 lemon
1 cup plain yoghurt

Method

* Combine the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamon seeds and mustard seeds in a pan and dry roast for 1-2 minutes.
* Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and add tumeric, cinnamon, cloves and chilli flakes, grind until you have a powder.
* Transfer spice mix to a glass bowl big enough to fit the lamb, add the remaining ingredients.
* Place the lamb in the dish and marinate for 2 hours or over night.
* Pre heat oven to 140c, transfer lamb to a dutch oven or roasting pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 3 hours or until the lamb can be shredded with a fork.

Serve with an extra squeeze of lemon and some fresh coriander. As I mentioned I served this with my pomegranate couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment