Saturday, February 16, 2013

Beetroot, Feta and Spinach Salad


This salad was created, because I cleaned out my fridge ( strange I know). We had visitors and the fridge was full with leftovers and ingredients that hadn't quite made it to the chopping board, the beetroot was one of them. Because this is such a simple salad, its important to use good oil, balsamic and feta.

Ingredients

3 medium sized beetroot
160 gm baby spinach leaves
60 gm walnuts halves
100 gm feta cheese
4 spring onions sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves roughly torn

Directions

Pre heat the oven to 200c, wrap beetroot in foil and roast for 1-1/2 hours , the beetroot should still be a little firm. Peel the beetroot and cut into 1 inch pieces, place in a bowl with 5tbs of olive oil and 3 tbs balsamic vinegar season well with salt and pepper, this will be your dressing. When the beetroot has cooled add to the remaining ingredients, crumble the feta on top.

My tip for peeling beetroot is to wear disposable gloves, I have a box of them under the sink, that is providing my kids havn't used them all for water bombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment